le 31 mars, 2014
I can hardly believe that it is almost the end of Assistanat, the end of this unbridled glorious journey! Apart from incessant and at times trying travels across Europe, I had the best time during classes.
I can hardly believe that it is almost the end of Assistanat, the end of this unbridled glorious journey! Apart from incessant and at times trying travels across Europe, I had the best time during classes.
It started with a short and chirpy “Hello!”
which, by mid-term, would have changed irrevocably to an ascending and
over zealously exclaimed ”Hellooohhh”, following in the footsteps of my
students. I was prepared for the numerous curios stares and excited whispers
that greeted m e in every class. A blond turned to a brown and spoke in hushed tones, who in turn spoke to a brunette, and
hence, there was a cackle of adolescent voices, no doubt having a quick
classroom exchange of notes on the newbie in the school. Slowly, after shooting them warm smiles and
encouraging words, shy voices asked me about my life, my family, my likes and
dislikes; which seemed rather run-of-the-mill to me, having lived with these
attributes and people all my life. However, they were welcomed with an awful
lot of enthusiasm, so much so that in spite of myself, I went on a short (read
massive) ego trip for the first few weeks, every time I met a new class. I was
enjoying every bit of it from the copper bottom of my heart. Spotting an Indian
in Verdun was like spotting a rare bird.
I was pleased to find classrooms fully
equipped with computers, internet and high-end projectors and smart
boards. French schools fully understood
the importance of audio-visual aids for teaching, which made the process of
learning much more dynamic. I could prepare Power point presentations all that
I wanted, and I joyfully came armed with a world of information on a single
memory stick. Saving paper in school, which is one of the highest consumers,
was never so easy.
A language assistant such as me would
normally conduct a variety of oral and written activities to improve the
students’ English. It is my job to bring the fun quotient to learning a
language, whilst also teaching them something worthwhile. I have had the good
fortune to teach at 2 different tiers of the French school system – the college
and the lycée, i.e. junior high and high school. Now, many people would think
it’s difficult to handle high school students, but I have had, and continue
having, a very enjoyable time at Lycée Jean-Auguste Margueritte. It is fun and
also challenging to teach students who are not too young. It really gave me a chance
to have meaningful discussions with them. At Collège St. Exupéry, the kids were
just adorable. I can say their baby steps in English have improved to a short and
comfortable stride. It is an
enriching English lecture to have an Indian who helps them not only with the
nuances of the language, but also explains the rich culture at the same
time.
My students were astonishingly polite, sneering
and mocking practically non-existent; and I guiltily remembered how naughty a class
we were, having driven out new teachers and pained old ones to no end with our
“fish-market” like chatter. Even dichotomous groups in the class came together
miraculously when you mentioned mischief.
The most prominent difference between
French and Indian students was the attire. French students, unlike Indian, didn't
have to put up with the retching dislike and shame, in the case of some, brought
about by uniforms that were a treacherous C of cuts and colours. The girls here seemed to have come straight out
of a fashion magazine. With long, well coiffed hair, trendy jackets and high
boots, they resembled unique stylists instead of teenagers. And since they grow
tall so fast, they seemed to be older than most boys their age. The boys looked
more their age and funky haircuts were a rage among boys and girls alike.
However, where student’s apparel is
concerned, I think Indian schools are on the right page with the enforcement of
a strict uniform. While some people may think dressing up painfully to the
point of perfection eats into the time young children, possibly distracting
them, there is another reason why I feel a uniform is the best bet. It ensures
that everybody is on an equal platform, and moreover, in a country where social
differences are starkly visible from attire, I think it only just that real
judgement be reserved to one’s knowledge and performance.
The students here do talk among
themselves, like in India. But a teacher does not have as much power in the
classroom, unlike in India. They cannot lay a finger on a misbehaving student.
All must go as per the book, with intervention from the council in “dire” situations;
whereas in Indian classrooms, matters are easily sorted with a tiny slap across
the face, which is considered only normal. Even in cases of gross
indiscipline, a teacher here is interdicted from taking severe steps. Physical
contact be it innocent, with a child, is a no-no. Though high intolerance for
paedophile or incongruent behaviour must have been at the base of barring even
an encouraging pat – which is quite a normal reaction from a teacher, it is too
bad that it has come to this.
But all in all, Assistanat is turning out to be
a learning experience. The biggest challenge is to spark interest in a child’s
mind, and hence activities have to be carefully chosen. Also, I am learning to be a lot more patient while dealing with students. I have learnt not to assume things and clearly ask after every few minutes whether they have understood or not. Further, condescension and exasperation have to be thrown out of the window when correcting their English. Their sensitivities are like a tortoise, one harsh word in front of the class and they might retreat into their shells.
On a yet different note, I am being treated at par with the teachers. Even they treat me as their equals, which is quite novel as I still haven’t come out of student life entirely.
On a yet different note, I am being treated at par with the teachers. Even they treat me as their equals, which is quite novel as I still haven’t come out of student life entirely.
Every morning I am greeted with smiling
faces, and I spend the day with a bunch of interesting kids who make the
lessons worth the while. With some of them, I really feel like they have not
only welcomed me in to their class, but also in to their hearts. Saying goodbye
to the schools is definitely going to be hard.
No comments:
Post a Comment